Two rooms.

Posted by Christy Miller on Saturday 29 June 2013. Filed under: , , , , , , , , , ,

I've already posted about bits and pieces of the nursery through my posts about the drawer liners, making a floor pouf, book slings, and a bunting, but there's a few other fun nursery tidbits to share as well.

My obsession with designing a nursery was fuelled by Pinterest. There's a billion great ideas, mostly DIY that piqued my interest, hence this other nine month project. But I am thrilled with the results - it is a little haven that I find very relaxing. Put a crying infant in it, and I'm not so sure, but I hope our son or daughter finds it calming as well.

I love this crib. And yes, I know that you're not supposed to have anything in it with the baby.
One thing I wanted to try was a gallery wall, so I had begun collecting some fun prints for the nursery from here and there. In truth, there was only two from "here": a limited edition Whitehorse concert screen print created by Hardpressed Print Studio and a canvas print from Winners. The rest of the prints are from Urban Outfitters.


A pricey trip to the framer's later, all my prints were ready to hang. Luckily my husband is a math whiz and figured out how to hang these so that they would align properly.

Gallery wall above a vintage dresser, IKEA lamp, Aden + Anais change pad cover and crib sheet

Boolah Baguette for me or for the baby?
What I'm most happy about in the nursery was the chance to include things from many of my favourite local artists and businesses.

Like this wonderful little fella from Boolah Baguette aka Erin Weiss. She's brilliant and so are her creations which you can buy on Etsy or if you're lucky enough to be in Saskatoon, at the Flock and Gather Handmade Markets that are held twice a year.
Shauna Buck illustrations, Anthropologie hooks

Another Flock and Gatherer that made their way into the nursery is Shauna Buck, a talented artist from Saskatoon. Her little birdie prints grace the odd little diagonal wall that you see first thing on your way into baby land.

Shauna Buck illustrations

Carole Epp pottery, ultrasound pic, original watercolour by Ashley Spires
Also back in the corner are these two hooks from Anthropologie that I love. These were the first things that I bought for the nursery and the last to be hung up.





 I have a small obsession with the Flock and Gather vendors, so not to be left out of the nursery is pottery maker Carole Epp, who made the darling plate and cup on the shelf. I was given these as a baby shower gift, but I'm not sure I will ever let baby eat or drink from them - they are too precious!

Also on the shelf is an original watercolour by my good friend Ashley Spires, children's book author and illustrator extraordinaire. I was deeply touched by her thoughtfulness in creating this original piece of work for baby. Ashley's amazing books also fill the book slings. You can buy her book Binky the Space Cat and other titles here.

Vintage brass ducks from Hiddenstitch
I nabbed these sweet vintage brass ducks from local entrepreneur Ricki Skoretz, who runs Hiddenstitch, a new home store in Saskatoon from where she operates her upholstery and furniture design business.

I also dropped some dough at TheBetterGood, our local eco-friendly goods store. I love this screenprinted pillow by Ferm Living.
Tiny train pillow by Ferm Living (purchased at TheBetterGood)
The fluffy circular rug was purchased online at the Home Depot and made a delightful journey from South Carolina to our floor in under a week (I'm amazed at how things get around the world so fast). 

The rocker is an old piece of furniture that my parents bought in the 80's that over time made its way into my home, likely at a time when I had no furniture. The little fox pillow nested into the nursing pillow is also from Urban Outfitters.


I made the curtains myself, not such an easy project when I was 6 months pregnant, crawling around on the floor trying to make sure that I was pinning and cutting straight.

Which leads me to room two, which is my other new favourite room in the house, my yoga / sewing room, which you can read about in my next post!

(Everyone loves a good cliff hanger, right?)

No Responses to Two rooms.

Leave a Reply