Easy as pie.

Posted by Christy Miller on Thursday 20 December 2012.

Or was it?

Last fall, I took a printmaking class through CCDE at my very own university and became intrigued by the art of screen printing. Soon after, I picked up an amazing book called Printing by Hand by Lena Corwin from the public library and after renewing it a number of times, finally decided to spring for the $25 to own the thing.

I've tried the stencil method of screen printing (which you can read about in my post here), but am still a bit daunted by the prospect of photo emulsion screen printing. A happy medium (no pun intended!) is the screen filler method, which I decided to try out recently.

The project: Printed tea towels
Supplies: Purchased tea towels from IKEA, screen drawing fluid, screen filler, fabric screen printing ink, a silk screening frame, plus all the basic supplies for screen printing (squeegee, scraper, plastic spoons, patience, and time!)

My idea was to make a tea towel set; one with an imprint of "easy as pie" and the other with an imprint saying "piece of cake". I didn't draw the images myself, rather I just found images I liked online and picked a font that I thought would look good on tea towels. I printed them out and taped the first pattern to the back of the screen to trace.


Once traced onto the screen, I used a fine paintbrush and screen drawing fluid to paint the image onto the back of the screen.


Once the screen drawing fluid was dry, I went over the entire image with screen filler. Then I let that dry overnight.

Once the screen filler is completely dry, I ran the screen underwater and watched the drawing fluid dissolve and voila! You have your image prepared.


Then the fun part begins: mixing your ink, doing the final prep on the screen, setting up your workspace and doing a few test prints. The "easy as pie" towels turned out great.


A few days later, I started working on the cake towels. I must have had beginners' luck on the first batch, because the second set turned out to be a lot more difficult and after a number of test prints, the image wasn't coming out clearly. I decided to wash the screen after attempt number one and try again later.


Unfortunately, the second attempt was no "piece of cake" either, and I ended up having to scrap the idea of a producing set of tea towels.

But I love the ink colour!
Luckily, I'm left with enough good pie towels to give one to each of my faithful blog readers (you know who you are!)

Merry Christmas!


No Responses to Easy as pie.

Leave a Reply